The Fourteen Methods of Synchronizing with Primary Respiration – Metaphors of Interrelatedness – Post #8
Homage to Shantideva who wrote the greatest book ever on compassion:
“As long as space remains, as long as sentient beings remain, until then, may I too remain and dispel the miseries of the world.” – Shantideva
Homage to His Holiness the Dalai Lama, the King of Compassion. Please guide us in this time of need:
“May I become at all times, both now and forever: a protector for those without protection; a guide for those who have lost their way; a ship for those with oceans to cross; a bridge for those with rivers to cross; a sanctuary for those in danger; a lamp for those without light; a place of refuge for those who lack shelter; and a servant to all in need.” – Shantideva
Biodynamic Craniosacral Therapy is a compassion-based practice.
“Compassion – our ability to feel the pain that we share with others.”
– Pema Chodron
There is no embodiment of order without dynamic stillness,
There is no movement in the universe without Primary Respiration
13. Ignition (Fire)
- The ninth synchronizing is with numerous types of Ignition processes. Ignition is on a spectrum from combustion (emotional release) to initiation (spiritual revelation) experiences. Ignition is a metaphor for a type of self-directed therapeutic activity of PR. It directly involves the element of fire.
- Traditional approaches to Ignition phenomena refers to four types: conception, heart, birth and death. Every change of phase of PR is a conception Ignition. Every heart beat is a heart Ignition. Every inbreath is a birth Ignition and every outbreath is a death Ignition. Keep it simple.
- Change of Phase: Spark
- Synchronizing with the therapeutic potency/activity of PR usually happens in its change of phase. It is one important entrance to the therapeutic activity of PR. The terms primary inhalation and primary exhalation are not useful and can be distracting. PR changes phases. It is an open-ended possibility of different perceptions.
- Sutherland indicated that a spark of light could be sensed. There are numerous other manifestations and language to describe such a spark like “Breath of Life.” The term “Breath of Life” has become confusing and is described differently by teachers. Avoid using the term.
- Principle: Avoid the trap of trying to perceive the entire cycle of PR. It dances with everything especially stillness.
- Principle: Rest your attention in its change of phase when your fluid body, the natural world or the client’s body synchronizes with PR. This does not mean to focus or concentrate but rather to relax one’s attention.
- Potency of PR Ignites
- The potency of PR starts to automatically shift anywhere inside the practitioner, client or natural world or all three. It has a location in its mind for itself. It moves itself under its own power (potency).
- Such potency is directly associated with the vitality or “life force” of the body.
- Potency of PR Spreads
- Potency of PR spreads or automatically shifts in multiple planes or areas inside the practitioner, client or natural world or all three.
- Principle: The potency is the current(s) within the tide of PR. Spend time in the ocean to become familiar with its currents and the tide of PR. Special snorkeling equipment is not necessary. This is embodiment practice.
- Potency Changes Tone
- Something happens as PR begins to change phase. It has its own timing and can be longer than a spark or sometimes it is non-existent. All of a sudden, another phase comes into one’s perception. Body and mind synchronize with a third element – the subtlety of PR continually surprises.
- This potency of PR is known many ways through all the senses. Relax and open the senses. Train outside as mentioned.
- Principle: All of this is non-linear. Ignition processes manifest on a spectrum of hot to cool, slow to fast and mundane to spiritual. Thus, Ignition can also be an initiation with a strong spiritual fulcrum.
- Principle: The potency of loving kindness (PR), a biological instinct, maintains the stability of the Ignition process.
- Resting in a Dynamic Stillness (Space)
- The tenth synchronizing is resting attention in a dynamic stillness. At some point in the Ignition process or the neutral, a pause occurs, a type of panoramic opening of space that requires no tracking or work to perceive. It simply arises as a conscious awareness. Dynamic stillness is a metaphor for these possibilities. Awareness is knowledge of the natural state of the body independent of thoughts, concepts or intelligence. It is not a “presence” but the actual direct knowledge of an absolute pure body which discerns itself directly as it is.
- Principle: This can mean many things that are not necessary to figure out on the spot. It is a break time for one’s perception. Relaxing one’s attention is key. There can be a felt sense of a panoramic awareness. One is not waiting, one is abiding in the stillness.
- Principle: All that is necessary in the stillness is to rest, abide, dissolve, melt and connect with the pulsation of one’s heart. It is the pulsation of the universe.
- Principle: Stillness is associated with the element of space. As such, some Eastern schools consider the element of space to be more important than the wind element such as the Dzogchen lineage of Tibetan Buddhism. Space in this case is the intangible spiritual domain in which the visions of the natural state arise and manifest. Whereas the arising and manifestation is the spiritual activity of the wind element. This therapeutic preference so to speak, depends on the spiritual aptitude of the practitioner and the personal preference that some biodynamic practitioners have for dynamic stillness rather than PR.
- Principle: The stillness of Ignition is a reorientation to the way it was at the beginning (conception) with a power (PR + dynamic stillness) to become renewed. A type of conception Ignition. A form of embodiment that may seem like incarnation from a spiritual point of view. Ignition processes are said to place a client back on their midline.